20 Things Every Nonprofit Database Admin Can Understand (with GIFs)
February 11, 2018
Some of us may love the work, but maintaining your team’s database isn’t always easy! For anyone who’s ever served as as a nonprofit database manager (and for those folks who have ever worked with that person), here are 20 things that have likely crossed our minds at some point in time.
1. When someone uses code to automate an otherwise time-consuming task.
2. When a “simple” request is about to consume hours of your day.
3. When that request comes from your Director & you have to say something.
4. When your external constituents submit data with errors, spaces and typos.
5. When your staff users enter data with errors, spaces and typos.
6. When a user finds a database error before you do.
7. When you discover the error first, and get to work to avoid a panic.
8. When that error is a real simple fix…
9. …and when it’s not, so now you have to tell everyone.
10. When you finally get in touch with your consultant or database vendor, and they explain the issue.
11.When the issue gets resolved and the data is saved.
12. When you catch someone still using a spreadsheet.
13. When you see a staff member on their way to becoming a power user.
14. When you’re waiting on specific features, but they won’t launch for another few months.
15. When it’s time for those updates & you know your job is about to get easier.
16. When updates go live and you can tell users that the SUPER annoying thing from before is now fixed.
17. When you marvel at your report charts and dashboards.
18. When you figure out why your database rule wasn’t firing and now it works like a charm.
19. When you meet other data managers/admins & they are just as into this stuff as you are.
20. When someone says they actually read your user manual.
We may not always make sense to our colleagues. But our data hygiene-obsessed, de-duplicating, analytical tendencies are a labor of love that makes the sector stronger. ❤
p.s. For the avid spreadsheet users out there, make sure you & your team know about these 5 time-saving excel hacks!